Saturday, October 4, 2008

Gypsy: Dancing the Dance


Why are we Gadje so romanced by the notion of "gypsy?" Historically, the Rom have been vilified, persecuted, executed, all the while being the subject of romantic art, literature and music. We are entranced by what the Rom seem to represent: freedom, music, dance, magic, mystery, rebellion and passion. It's as though their spirit fills a void that exists in many non-gypsy cultures.

As far as I understand, and my understanding is limited, the Roma culture is complex. The roving bands of gypsy caravans is just one perspective. There are gypsies who do not travel. There are rich gypsies. There are poor gypsies. There are several Rom nations--most likely they are ethnically related although these nations themselves might not recognize one another as truly "Romani."

I have spent the last three hours searching the web for any ancestral ties I may have to the Rom and found only one reference to my family name on my Irish side. My knowledge of my family history doesn't extend much farther than my mother and father (they are Irish and Scottish respectively). What I did discover, however, was how heavily populated England, Scotland and Ireland are with gypsies, both now and historically. I have always known about the Traveller people in the UK, but did not know their numbers and how extensively they've been photographed and researched. As I learn more about them, I hope to share this learning here on this blog.

Alas, as of yet, I do not seem to be Rom decent. Since I preform with a casual dance troupe what is know in fusion belly dance as "Gypsy Dance," I feel obliged to at least by 1/10th Gypsy or something, way back where, on my great great-grandad's mother's side. I feel like a cad, parading about in what I perceive to be Gypsy attire, attempting to take on what I understand to be Gypsy traits: confidence to the point of cockiness, pride, strength, Independence, anger, all the while quelling my inner-shrinking violet. I was not born with the stereotypical "Gypsy" personality mentioned above. My insides are painfully shy.

Yet, I feel if I am going to "dance the dance," I should at least have a deeper understanding of the cultures I'm attempting to imitate. And I should celebrate the parts in me that may actually reflect the "Gypsy Spirit:" my wanderlust; my inability to identify with the status quo; the freedom of my soul; my love of music and dance; and the desire to be with a community of like-minded people.

The above is just a small part of "Gypsy" in "Gypsypoetplantstudent."


1 comment:

West Coast Island Gardener said...

Hey Gypsy spirited lass, your grandpa on dad's side was adopted in Scotland ...so he may have well been left on the doorstop by gypsies. So there could be Rom in your tree- that would xplain all that free-spirited wild poet blood coursing through your veins - then again that could be from your Irish mother's side.